20 August 2010

Where should I start when there is so much to tell about….
The house
Waiting is a thing you should be good at in Delhi, cause as in many countries over the world, Indians don’t really live with a watch.
When they tell you: “we will be there in 10 minutes” , you wait approximately 60 minutes, and when they say: “we will come back later” , they don’t come before the next day…
So yes, as you can imagine, we haven’t moved in yet,…
There are a lot of things to arrange when you are in a country as India(water purification system, ups/generator, voltage corrector, gas, electricity, tv/telephone/internet, … and of course all the furniture! It is not as easy as in Belgium.
Most of the expats are helped by a company who is in charge of the whole ‘moving-organisation/project’… but unfortunately we can benefit of such a great help!
But as I say ….It is all part of the experience!

The monsoon in Delhi
Since a few days we are victims of heavy rains in Delhi. The streets are changing into rivers and the traffic jams are even bigger. The daily traffic in Delhi is very bad.
During the heavy rainfalls, it is a amazing to see how even Riksha’s try ‘to swim’ through ‘the rivers.
Our social life
There is a great network of expats in Delhi. Every Tuesday morning there is a ‘Delhi Network’ meeting where you meet a lot of women from all over the world, that can give you amazing tips, advices or even can be a great help when you try to settle in.
We also had our first indirect visit last Monday. Michaël Van Bogaert was in Delhi for business and we had dinner together! It was a very nice evening and we enjoyed his company a lot. The second visitor is getting ready to come: my brother Pierre-Yves,! He will stay for two nights at our place. I am sure we will have a awesome time.
And except for the foreigners, we always have Manu’s boss Amit and his wife Kavita who are very carrying.
So, nothing to be afraid of, we are doing GREAT!

I love India / I hate India
For those who have been in India, they probably know this expression. As long as the ‘I love India’-factor is higher than the ‘I hate’, everything is fine. And I can assure you that it is still the case. The ‘I love India’ is huge.
Don’t get me wrong, the situation on the streets, in the markets, on the corner of each neighbourhood or even just at the other side of your house is very confronting. But you have to get used to it. It is horrible to write this down but it’s like that. Your heart needs to be rock, as said in the expression ‘Il faut faire de son coeur une pierre.

After the weekend, you will get more news and pictures of us.
Don’t hesitate to send us your stories ( by email, not on the blog because we don’t get them)…. We are always happy to hear from you!
Take Care and have a terrific weekend!
Big kisses and love
Manu & Amélie